Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Vacations...

School is almost out, which has me thinking a lot about summer vacation. With daycare expenses, we aren't going to be able to do anything too exciting (aka expensive) this summer.  But I still want to do something fun with my kids.

I definitely want to take them camping this year. Which may just be a coo-coo idea of mine since we all know how hot it can get in the summer months in Oklahoma. And since we have a baby (almost 15 months).  We will go to Turner Falls.  It is somewhere I used to go as a little girl with my parents and sister. I really enjoyed it. Well from what I remember!

We also have the opportunity to go to Branson, MO with some good friends of ours. They have season passes and get to invite friends for free. I have never been to Silver Dollar City and neither have the kids. I'm really hoping that is something we can go do!

We were planning a road trip to Chicago. Until gas prices started to skyrocket!  My friend Hailey lives there. We would have been able to stay with her to save money on a hotel room. But still gas is way too much!  Right now it costs about $60 just to fill Mini up! Ugh!  We planned on going to a baseball game, Six Flags, and shopping!! I wanted to take Zack to the Lego store so bad.

Another thing I have been thinking about is a vacation with just Alan. I have NOT gone anywhere for more than a day without my kids since Em was a baby. She is now 12 years old. I think some alone time for Alan and I would be so nice. We could definitely use it!

Here are some vacations (family or alone) I have been thinking about:

Hawaii (family vacation)

Destin, FL (again!)

Destin, FL - May 2010

New Orleans (just Alan and I - we went thru here on the way to Destin and had fun walking around, etc)

Carnival Cruise (maybe doing a Western Caribbean cruise?)

Disney World (must take Em & Z before they are 18...haha)

St. Thomas


Here are some of the things we have done with the kids:

San Antonio, TX - we went to Sea World, the River Walk, and a childrens museum. We also went to New Braunfels while there and spent the day at one of the best waterparks ever. You must go to Schlitterbahn at least once in your life.

Destin, FL - we had so much fun just lounging on the beach, swimming, eating, etc. This was such a relaxing vacation. We went with Alan's family and stayed in a condo right on the beach.

Kansas City, KS - my dad took the kids, my mom, and I to Great Wolf Lodge. We had so much fun!

Jasper, AR - we took the kids to just relax, eat, spend some time together, and go rafting on the Buffalo River. We stayed in a cute cabin. We also went to a cavern to explore the caves but I can't remember which one.


I really enjoy being able to get away from work, the daily routine, and just spend time alone with my kids.  I hope they can look back and have good memories of our vacations, no matter how big or small they are.

Please tell me your vacation ideas. Some of your favorite places you have been, the places you want to go, etc. I'd love to hear about them!

No comments: