Monday, May 23, 2011

Grocery shopping, ugh! And my weekly menu.

I seriously hate grocery shopping. Anyways, EVERYTHING at the grocery store has gone up in price. I know to some that the prices being raised, oh by like 30 cents, isn't a big deal, but to me it is. I have a kid in diapers and daycare. Two older kids in sports (cheer and football, not cheap!). My family of 5 to feed. Gas to buy for the mini. etc. So to me 30 cents plus is a big deal. The good news is that recently I have been dipping my toes in couponing, plus price matching, and that will be helpful. Thankfully it is getting pretty easy thanks to the Money Saving Queen. So my trip to Walmart cost me $197, but I picked up breakfast and lunch items, fruit, veggies, plus dinner for 5 days. We can't forget the diapers, laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. I ended up saving about $20 using coupons. Not that bad, right? RIGHT?

And now I present you with the....

Weekly menu:

Sunday - PW's Sloppy Joes, oven baked french fries (I just peel and slice potatoes, put in bowl, add olive oil, and different spices, bake on cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes or longer on 425 degrees), apple slices

Monday - Compadre's!  Please go eat here tonight if you can! They are donating a percentage of the profits to help my friend Kim. Her husband Larry passed away, leaving her and their 10 year old son and soon-to-be born baby boy behind.

Tuesday - Grilled chicken thighs (mine are boneless/skinless, and I marinate these for about 24 hours in 1/3 cup italian dressing, little less 1/3 cup soy sauce, and 1 garlic clove minced), broccoli and corn scallop, rolls

Wednesday - Monterey Chicken, carrots (I used canned. Then add a little brown sugar and a small can of pineapple tidbits), cutie oranges

Thursday - Alan is making us chicken and rice, green beans, crescent rolls

Friday - Ginger's stuffed burritos, black beans, spanish rice

Saturday - Does anyone want to feed us dinner? If not, I guess we will do hot dogs/hamburgers and chips!


Also, please say prayers for Joplin, MO, plus other places in OK that were hit, and anywhere else that is being affected by these crazy natural disasters. Tornadoes scare the pee out of me. They frighten me to the point where I let my older kids sleep on my bedroom floor (Colton is already in his crib or on my bed in our room) last night so I wouldn't have to run upstairs to get them in case a tornado happens. I even cleaned out the closet under the stairs and then I put shoes, a flashlight, pillows/blankets, water/snacks, etc in there also. I hope everyone has a great Monday despite all the storms brewing.

1 comment:

amanda torres said...

That is a great start! $20 every week adds up. That's exactly how I started. Every little bit counts.